Wednesday, July 22, 2009

2009 Sequim Arts Artist Tour/Lavender Festival



Wow what an intense three days. Lavender Festival 2009 was a huge success for us in spite of the festival coinciding with this year’s second biggest and longest windstorm. We had four days of 15mph plus winds all day long with Saturday’s winds gusting to 28 mph. Oh well.

At least nothing serious was damaged and …well it didn’t rain. An early bit of good news was that because I got up so very early each morning to get ready…I eliminated two of my garden gophers. Those fellow gardeners out there will quickly realize how gratifying a morning that can turn out to be.

The rest of the good news is that we were blessed with a steady, constant and inquisitive group of visitors. The Sequim Arts Artist Tour is all about allowing visitors an opportunity to visit a working artist’s studio and see the environment in which the art is conceived and produced. Many of the artists had demonstrations and all had open studios.

Ours, Dungeness Studios introduced a new group of pieces we called the “Coin Series”. This new group features very heavy texturing on various areas of the earrings. I have always heard of this type of texturing referred to as coining. It is often seen on the side of metal money pieces to detect if anyone has attempted to “shave” any material off the coin. We have modified the technique to bring out some sparkle. It reminds me of the play of sunlight over moving water. This series of earrings also includes colored gemstones like “Madeira citrine, peridot, tiger eye and rhodolite garnet.

No comments:

the beach rocks

the beach rocks
Although I have been lucky enough to receive many accolades and awards during my professional career as a jewelry designer, I was nearly always fulfilling a commission and therefore the aesthetical concerns of my client. Now that I have relocated to the great NorthWest I am pursuing my own images for the first time since graduate school…and loving my craft with a renewed spirit.

deep currents

deep currents
This was inspired by the way the river's currents swirl around the rocks that sit on the bed of the river.

in the kelp bed

in the kelp bed
At times I let my mind wander to what is happening below...in the depths of the kelp beds. I image how the cold waters waft and drift along. I like to think about the serenity of life in the kelp beds.

two six rings

two six rings
We called these rings "six ring" because when you see then from the side...in profile...they reminded us of the number six.